Friday, May 11, 2012

BOOBS

Time magazine used a photo of a breastfeeding mom as the cover, and it is making quite a buzz.  The article that goes with the photo is about attachment parenting.

Here's what I have to say: WHO CARES!?!?!?!?!
The article is obviously highlighting extreme cases (and in the case of the photo, the mom has extended breastfeeding for 4 years).  Seems to me like these parents really love their kids, and are making a choice on how to raise them.  The kids are not suffering and are fine.  Why can't we just butt out of other peoples business?  Why don't they highlight stories of crack babies who really need some help and attention?

As far as breastfeeding goes, it always seems to create quite a conversation.  People get very fired up about the topic, and I really don't get it.  Breasts have a function: to make milk and feed a baby.  Just like any other body part, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.  Also, some people just don't want to breastfeed, so they choose to use formula.  Is this really such a big deal?  As long as the baby is being loved and nurtured (AND FED), why put effort into judging someone?

Personally, I fed my son with a mixture of breastmilk and formula, and have chosen to exclusively breastfeed my daughter.  Both kids are fine.  The formula didn't harm my son.  I don't know how long I will continue with breastfeeding my daughter (I assume until she self weans), and my son self weaned at 9 months.  I like the closeness I feel to my children when I breastfeed, but I also like the convenience.  Not having to make a bottle in the middle of the night is super convenient (although, having to pump at work is NOT!).  There are pros and cons with both scenarios, and finding the perfect balance for your family is what works best.

The point is, parents (specifically mothers) have a hard enough time.  Give them a break.  This issue is not as big as everyone makes it.  Just be "pro" feeding and butt out.
;)

AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment