Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Police Report is Done

I just spoke with the officer who was handling our case.  Apparently, there is video of our accident because it happened almost in front of the police station.  What a chilling piece of news this is.  Morbid curiosity makes me want to see it, but common sense tells me this is not something that I want to see.  The officer said after they saw the tape, they were surprised that we didn't have much more serious injuries.  The van knocked us 10 feet out of the crosswalk.  Yikes. No wonder my side hurts so much. 

The driver was waiting at the light, and when it turned green for them, they accelerated quickly into their turn.  The sun was glaring into their eyes, and that is why they didn't see me and my child in the crosswalk.  It makes it easier for me to know that the accident was just that ...an accident.  It wasn't some crazy distracted person on a cell phone or texting on their latest device.  The officer also said that the driver was visibly shaken and upset.  For some reason, this comforts me as well.  To know that the person who did this is remorseful and affected by the incident indicates to me that they are a rational and a caring being. 

I suppose that in the end, none of this makes any sense.  I really just want to start putting this whole thing behind me.  My knee is healing well (I think)...its feeling much better and I'm having a greater range of motion.  My side is still very sore, and hasn't shown any bruising yet.  I can't figure this one out...but the CTscan and xrays didn't show any breaks, so it must be a boat load of soft tissue bruising.  The cast, well, that is very annoying.  I guess I just have to work around it the best that I can.  Tomorrow I will get a new cast that can get wet, and I am psyched.  I might take an hour long shower when I get home!

Things are okay.  When I realize how bad things could have been, I feel so lucky.  It doesn't stop me from being really pissed off that I can't pick up my son, or that I am in pain when I cuddle with him.  But, I'll get there.  My husband and I took our little buddy to get some chocolate (for us, not him) on Valentines day, and we crossed the street.  And I didn't freak out.  My husband was carrying our son, so it was a different scenario, but I think it is progress.  It felt scary, but not overwhelming.  Whew.  I think we will make it through this just fine.


1 comment:

  1. I don't usually comment on your blog, but this time I felt compelled to, as I got so choked up while I was reading it. I feel very lucky to have a daughter as complex and caring as you. Somewhere along the line we have done something right to have been through so many things in our lives and end out the way we are. I love you very much and thank God that you and Cyrus are OK...and lucky to have Matt in my life also.