Friday, February 12, 2010

One Week down


Its been one week today since our accident.   I've spent the past week at home, resting and reflecting on what happened to us.  The top thing I come away with is how much I love and adore my husband and son.  The next thing that is so touching are the outpourings of support that have come from those around us.  It has been truly touching to experience how many people care for us.  I feel humbled and blessed to be so lucky.

Things haven't quite returned to normal yet.  I am still very sore...I've actually gotten more swollen in my ribs.  My knee is feeling "looser" and getting around is getting easier each day.  Learning how to use my left hand for everything is odd, but manageable (even if it is frustrating!).  Getting showered is the roughest task since the cast can't get wet.  I should get a cast next week that can get wet, so that should help.  My poor husband still has the brunt of the household chores.  There are things I just can't do, and he's doing great.  I think its hard on him, but he doesn't complain.  With all of the extra "McChubb" duty (taking care of our son), he did make a comment that having only one child might be a good idea (score one for me!).

I was putting away some laundry last night, and I think I have to get rid of the clothes we were wearing that day.  This seems silly, and I can't really explain it, but I don't want them in the house.  They've been washed, and are in the drawers, but I know we will never wear them again.  I don't typically use avoidance as a coping mechanism, but I don't need the visual reminder, and I'm giving myself a break on this one.  There are going to be much bigger things to tackle emotionally down the road than a set of clothes.  I'll get there in time.

We are together and we are happy.  Life is never going to be the same.  It never is, though. 

AJ

No comments:

Post a Comment