Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A letter to my girl

Dear LuLu, 

While rocking with you at bedtime tonight I stared at you and felt like I know your path. I know the heartaches and joys of being a woman. I can connect and relate to you in this way.  I know that there will be drama.  There will also be growing and learning.  I feel lucky to be a part of that.

Thinking about raising a girl is a little intimidating to me.  There are so many things that I want for you (and even more that I don't).  Be strong, independent, and stubborn.  Fight for what you want and go after it with enthusiasm.  BUT, embrace your softness.  Don't mistake emotion and vulnerability for weakness.  It's not true.  Let someone love you and love them back.  Invite people in.  Offer help easily, and remember to accept help just as easily.  

I'm struggling with some of these things myself these days, and it makes me so aware that I want so much for you.  I'm making changes to be a better role model for you.  

I love you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment